FreeBSD on Virtualbox: No network access

Weihang Wang weihang at vt.edu
Thu Dec 9 04:34:57 UTC 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Timm Wimmers wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 03.12.2010, 00:33 -0500 schrieb Weihang Wang:
>> Hi Martes,
>>
>> I have tried the first two interfaces which are said to be supported by FreeBSD, they do not work. Surprisingly, now I choose the option "Intel PRO/1000 T Server" and in NAT mode, it works now!!!!
>> Thank you so much, you do me a great favor!! Hope this also works for Chris!
>
> In most cases it is better to use bridge mode. In NAT mode your VM get a
> private subnet and other devices in your network can't find your VM,
> because the VM is behind (or encapsulated in) your HOST (as like as your
> HOST is behind your router to the internet). This can work if you define
> routes, but bridging is mostly easier.
>
> In Bridge mode your VM acts like any other machine in your network and
> will get an IP-Adress from your DHCP server (if you use DHCP).
>
> --
> Timm
>
> [1] HSOT = your Ubuntu Workstation

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to enable Bridge mode?

I just change the network settings of my virtual machine, change it to bridged mode. I also select the eth0, which is the physical interface of my system.
Then in my virtual machine, I add one line:
ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf file.
I have changed each of the five virtual interfaces Intel and ..., but I could not get network access.

If I use NAT mode, one of these five interfaces works fine. But now I do need the Bridged mode because one of my machine would be a server in my experiment.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Best,
W.W.