printer recommendations?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 8 07:39:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 21:57:49 -0800, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:
> My LJ4+ was connected via parallel and I never noticed any problems with
> error messages or the speed.

Speed: It's just faster with PCL than with PS. Given a
multi-page output, the printer is in constant action
no big deal.

Error messages: This started with FreeBSD 7. The system
log gets full of

	lpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
	lpt0: [ITHREAD]

when printing. I even have

	hw.intr_storm_threshold="1000"

in /boot/loader.conf. I didn't have this problem with 4 and 5.
But hey, the printer works (again), and with my "new" system
getting ready for 8 and networked printing, I won't complain. :-)

> I'm OK with a printer that's as slow as I am.  ;)

As long as the printer isn't as tall as you are... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany