printer recommendations?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Dec 8 01:10:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:38:05 -0800, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> My old HP Laserjet 4+ is broken and I'm thinking about buying a new
>> printer.
>
> In case you have been happy with your 4+, consider getting
> a used HP office-class laser printer. I can recommend the
> HP LaserJet 4000 (maybe including a duplexer, very handy).
> Interfaces are parallel and network - use network if possible.

I have a LaserJet 2300n that's also worked out very well.  It has
about the same footprint as the 4m it replaced, but it's much faster.
Good network interface and good Postscript support.  The paper trays
seem a little flimsy compared to the 4, but I haven't broken one yet.

> Used office-class equipment, I can't emphasize it enough. The
> HP Laserjet printers have a good "eco-mode standby behaviour",
> so even energy costs are low

Yup.  I checked mine with a Kill-A-Watt and found no measurable power
draw (less than 1 watt) in standby.  After that I stopped bothering to
turn it off.