portupgrade causes kernel message: maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Tue Dec 7 20:10:20 UTC 2010

On 12/05/2010 10:45 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> writes:
>
>> Beginning at some time less than 1 month ago I started getting such
>> message. Increasing maxproc doesn't help. Current values are like
>> this:
>> kern.maxproc: 6164
>> kern.maxprocperuid: 5547
>>
>> What may be causing such condition?
>
> limits(1), perhaps?

I DoSed a remote box building devel/glib20 too. Just now reproduced it
locally.

It manifested as a forkbomb somewhere in gnome-libtool while building
glib-2.26.1 inside a clean chroot (not a jail). The issue seemed to only
manifest within the chroot, regardless of whether the configuration was
identical to the host or not. It did not occur when attempting to build
on the host machine.

Every other package I built worked just fine.

I eventually tracked it down to a stray colon at the start of the PATH
variable in my chroot build environment:

PATH=:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Thus, it might be a good idea to verify that your build environment
variables and config files are sane.

==========

mv -f .deps/gdatetime.Tpo .deps/gdatetime.Po
/bin/sh /usr/obj/usr/ports/devel/glib20/work/gnome-libtool  --tag=CC
--mode=link cc  -O2 -pipe -O2 -pipe -march=nocona -fno-strict-aliasing
-Wall  -L/usr/local/lib -lintl -o strfuncs strfuncs.o
../../glib/libglib-2.0.la  -lm
mv -f .deps/regex.Tpo .deps/regex.Po
/bin/sh /usr/obj/usr/ports/devel/glib20/work/gnome-libtool  --tag=CC
--mode=link cc  -O2 -pipe -O2 -pipe -march=nocona -fno-strict-aliasing
-Wall  -L/usr/local/lib -lintl -o string string.o
../../glib/libglib-2.0.la  -lm
printf: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
printf: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
printf: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
printf: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
printf: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libglib-2.0.so.0" not found,
required by "printf"

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo