Can a home LAN server use a jail as a router?

Tue Dec 7 09:08:53 UTC 2010

On 12/05/2010 10:53 PM, Da Rock wrote:
> Is it possible to use FreeBSD to create three "jails" on one
> box, so that one jail can be a router to the internet, and the other
> two can be webservers?
What you seem to need is to run the host as a router, and create two or
three more jails on top of that router kernel.
The default should be a  router and the secondary functions should be
the jail.
I think you just need to read a bit more on how jails are used on the
BSD platform and it will be clear to you.

> I wanted to create an environment where if one
> webserver got compromised, the other webserver would be unaffected.
This would be the true use of jails in your environment.
You want to isolate web services such as Apache installs into jails so
if they get compromised then you don't have to worry about the rest of
the system becoming completely compromised.
> So I would
> also like to make a jail to be a samba server.
I believe that you can install samba inside a jailed environment as
well, however, I have never done this, so I am not familiar with how it
will be done, however, I have a Bind-9 environment where the external
internet interface serves the internet my public information, and there
is a second jail which hosts dns for the internal segment. So I can see
how Samba can be installed in a jail, and it would make appropriate
sense to do so.

I hope this helps you in your investigation(s).

--
Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth
M. G. Wigglesworth Holdings, LLC