Can a home LAN server use a jail as a router?

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 03:00:39 UTC 2010

Hello.  Is it possible to use FreeBSD to create three "jails" on one
box, so that one jail can be a router to the internet, and the other
two can be webservers?  I wanted to create an environment where if one
webserver got compromised, the other webserver would be unaffected. I
have old hardware, so I do not have hardware VT in the chip. I thought
I previously read that a jail could only have 1 NIC, but I have not
been able to confirm that. That would spoil my router plan, if true.

I'm more familiar with Linux than FreeBSD, but Linux seems to be
moving from Xen towards KVM (which requires VT).  I could use Xen,
probably on Debian if I did. Xen seems to require a specially built
Linux kernel on Debian, and I'm not sure I like that.

I'd also like to set up a personal samba file-server, but I'm deathly
afraid the machine would get hacked while wired to the net. So I would
also like to make a jail to be a samba server.

All these jails are predicated on one of them being able to act as a
router between the internet and my home LAN. I want some "jails" to
talk the internet (via the router jail), and some "jails" to only be
available in my house.