massive hdd/geli problems after upgrade to 8.1-RELEASE

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sat Dec 4 20:00:23 UTC 2010

On 12/4/2010 2:46 PM, Michael Schaefer wrote:

> http://pastecode.org/index.php/view/27349679

Well, the drive doesnt think it has any issues which is good!

> will do the atacontrol comparison later on since I would ahve to upgrade
> the system again. I stressed the hdd now with the old kernel for several
> hours copying reading/writing large amounts of data without any error. even
> the filesystem check ran through with just some softupdate inconsistencies
> but without sector errors...

You should be able to boot with just an updated kernel.  If I had to
guess, it might be some power saving mode of the drive being enabled or
disabled.  atacontrol will hopefully shed some light on the issue.
Not sure about the 4k sector thing.

	---Mike