Can MS Exchange play nice with the mailing lists?

John D McDonnell gorgarath at xsmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:29:04 UTC 2010

I sent a test e-mail to another account of mine to get a full view of
the headers in the message and this is what I got:

From: John McDonnell <mcdonnjd at pcam.org>
To: "gorgarath at gorgarath.com" <gorgarath at gorgarath.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:14:18 -0500
Subject: Test to check Exchange's headers.
acceptlanguage: en-US

Note 1: Not sure why our external IP address is showing up with the name
exchange.pcam.local instead of mail.pcam.local, but I'm pretty sure
that's what I need to fix to be able to send to the FreeBSD mailing
list, and anyone else who rejects similar mails. Odd that the FreeRADIUS
mailing list doesn't reject it. Obviously a bit more slack in spam
filtering. (Not that I'm complaining, much easier for me since I do send
more mail to the FR list than the FBSD list.)

Note 2: Not sure if this is an issue or not since it is an internal IP
address and not the last hop before heading out into the wild.

Note 3: I'm almost certain exchange.pcam.local isn't an issue here since
I think Message-ID is a fairly arbitrary header in actual mail delivery.

Am I correct in my assumptions about the 3 instances of the .local
domain? Is there anything else that looks wrong that I'll also need to
take a look at? I'm not sure where in Exchange to change these settings,
but I'll do some Googling and see what I can find. Preferably I'd like
for it to refer to itself as mail.pcam.org on the inside and outside as
we currently get a certificate error in Outlook on the inside due to it
not matching mail.pcam.org.

--
John D. McDonnell
gorgarath at xsmail.com