USB Thumb Drive

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Dec 1 18:33:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 01:10:25PM -0500, Jerry wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:00:00 +0000
> Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> articulated:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:47:26 -0500
> > Chris Brennan <xaero at xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> > > [root at BlackDragon [~]# kldload ntfs (just so I can read from the
> > > device and copy what I wanted off it)
> > > [root at BlackDragon [~]# mount -t ntfs /dev/da0 /mnt/thumb
> > > mount_ntfs: /dev/da0: Invalid argument
> >
> > I think Windows defaults to FAT32 on removable drives, so you might
> > need to use '-t msdosfs' instead. In newer versions of Windows you can
> > also format disks using exFAT which I don't believe is supported in
> > the open source world yet.

Sorry I didn't keep the thread, but, in case it is helpful, here is
the line in my /etc/fstab for my USB stick plug-ins.   (There are some
other USB devices that use up da0 and da1)

/dev/da2s1              /stick          msdosfs rw,noauto       0       0

  I just plug one in,
  su to root,
  type 'mount /stick'

and then can read it just fine - even from non-root.
I do this frequently to suck .jpg files off the cards from
my digital camera.  (I have an adapter to make them USB plug-in-able).

I can write as root, but I haven't messed around figuring out if
I can manage to write as non-root.

As you see, it is msdosfs or in other words, FAT32.
I don't know anything about the exFAT mentioned below.

////jerry