gpt zfs booting - loader takes 25s

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Dec 1 01:08:03 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> writes:

Bruce> Is it normal for booting to take such a long time when booting
Bruce> from GPT?

Are you shutting down cleanly?

I noticed my VPS takes a bit when I've done a hard reboot, but not when
I let it go through all the nice sync, even though there aren't any
console messages.

I imagine something high-up in the kernel is asking the ZFS for the
first block of a file, and only at that point does all the paperwork
processing for consistency check come into play, so there are no
messages, just a pause.