freebsd-update newbie

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 15:25:07 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 31 August 2010, Kyle Dippery wrote:

> I've just installed 8.1 from distribution CDs and updated stable
> with cvsup.  I want to enable freebsd-update to keep the system,
> well, updated.
>
> First try, 'freebsd-update fetch' yielded a number of failure
> messages

freebsd-update will only track the RELEASE branch.

If you want to track STABLE you'll have to use csup and rebuild the
entire system from source each time. Unless you really want to track
the latest developments in STABLE you can stay with RELEASE and use
freebsd-update to ensure that you get all the security patches. See
section 24.5.2 in the FreeBSD Handbook to help you decide if you really
need STABLE
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html>

If you choose to stick with RELEASE then it's worth subscribing to the
FreeBSD Security Advisories mailing list and only running
freebsd-update after any updates have been announced.

Mike Clarke