freebsd-update newbie

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Aug 31 14:27:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:56:19 -0400, Kyle Dippery <kyle at engr.uky.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed 8.1 from distribution CDs and updated stable
> with cvsup.  I want to enable freebsd-update to keep the system,
> well, updated.

That won't work. The freebsd-update program is used to track
RELEASE (including the security patches) in a binary way,
bringing you from 8.1-RELESE to 8.1-RELESE-p1 to 8.1-RELESE-p2
and so on.

STABLE is not supported by freebsd-update. If you want to track
STABLE, you need to compile stuff yourself from sources updated
via cvsup or csup (see instructions in the FreeBSD handbook and
additionally /usr/src/Makefile).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany