Speeding up (caching?) shared libraries loading

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 31 13:20:02 UTC 2010

On Tue Aug 31 10, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Suppose I have an executable which I need to invoke repeatedly (e.g. to
> run tests in a makefile).
> This executables spend most of its time loading (rather than
> processing), due to the need of several huge shared libraries.
>
> I'd welcome an hint on how to speed this up.
> Possible thing would be to "cache" these shared libraries (and possibily
> the executable too) in memory, so that any invocation after the first is
> faster.
> Is this possible at all?
> Any other idea?

i don't think there's an out-of-the-box solution. have you checked out ports to
see if there's something there which might do what you're looking for?

another possibility would be to use tmpfs and store the files and libraries
on a memory based partition. you could write a script which would copy
files/libs to the tmpfs partition during boot time e.g.

cheers.
alex

--
a13x