installing FreeBSD in VMWare-player

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 31 13:13:55 UTC 2010

El día Monday, August 30, 2010 a las 11:31:13AM +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> El día Friday, August 27, 2010 a las 12:06:09PM +0300, Manolis Kiagias escribió:
>
> >  On 27/08/2010 10:24 ??.??., Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it possible that the data gets corrupt on an USB key after some time?
> > > I'm wondering why the system even is intact to be booted from...
> > >
> > > Will prepare the key again or just fill in the dumps I have...
> > >
> > > 	matthias
>
> I prepared another USB key which boots fine in my laptop, boots fine in
> the other laptop native (i.e. without VM-player); but in the
> VM-player and in an older laptop of my wife it can't mount the root file
> system on boot; it says:

Because the USB key was not booting in the VM I've now used a 8.0 livefs
ISO to boot from. I used this livefs for the 1st time, I think, and even beeing
an experienced FreeBSD user for more than 15 years it is not easy to
understand how the livefs should be best use to

1) partition the slice and install boot manager
2) restore dumps from the USB disk I have

The livefs brings you into the same menu like any other install CD. I
was awaiting a straight forward boot into a multiuser run level and
then do the work from there. Ofc you can user the installer and dont
install anything (because there is nothing in this moment on the CD),
and then jump to the shell. In this case the created file systems are
already poluted with some stuff and are mounted together. I found no way
to unmount /mnt/ad0s1a (todo newfs again). It always said 'busy'.

So I booted a 2nd time the livefs and went right away to the shell...

Now I have already again my 'old' root partition booting to single user
mode and I'm filling in the 120 GByte dump of the /usr ... The 1st try
crashed the Win7 to blue screen over the night :-(

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211