how do i scp .dotfiles??

'Gary Kline' kline at thought.org
Sun Aug 29 19:07:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 07:06:33AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> 'Gary> 	at least for me, gtar fails to pick up dotfiles.
>
> How did you invoke it?
>
> There's a big difference between:
>
>         cd $HOME && gtar cfz /tmp/xx.tgz . # should get everything
>
> and
>
>         cd $HOME && gtar cfz /tmp/xx.tgz * # will miss all the dotfiles
>
> Did you do the latter, by chance?

	Sure.  my default is the asterisk. ...Anyway, i used matthew's -r
	for recursion [with rsync] and even tested --delete on some junk
	~kline/.4kde/* stuff.

	then slowly, got rid of more junk [[unused for =years=]]
	directories and files.  pretty soon i'll be ready to save
	everything from here [tao/present/oldtao] to ethic.  then i'll
	move everything to the newtao.  then i'll give away my '03 tower.
	"do unto others... " or whatever:)

	gary

	PS:  thanks for the tip, randal!  i may have that somewhere in some
	     obscure ~/.notesfile.

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org