how do i scp .dotfiles??

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Fri Aug 27 18:04:12 UTC 2010

On 8/27/10 1:51 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	i've already done 98 or so straight scp copies.   the thing is how
> 	to use rsync over to an empty ethic? [[ empty == "there are no \
> 	dot files not .directories"]  i want EVERYTHING from this desktop,
> 	tao, temp on ethic.
>
> 	thanks

An alternative I use sometimes when there is ample disk space on the
source machine is to create a big tar file of everything in the user's
home directory, scp the tar file, and then extract into the new home
directory on the destination machine.  Personally I find that slightly
easier to keep track of.

There are many ways to skin this cat....

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com