Problem installing Bacula client on win 2008 64 bit server

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Fri Aug 27 14:32:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:35:12 +0200
Albin Vega <albinv4616 at gmail.com> articulated:

> Hello
>
> Trying to install bacula client on win 2008 64 bit server. After
> installation the bacula client should start automatically but it
> dont. I then tried to start the bacula windows service manually but
> are getting the following (and pointless) error message: Error 1067.
> The prosess terminated unexpektedly.
>
> Ok, so now i open a CMD window and try to start the service
> by starting bacula-fd.exe, but with no luck. Then I add the -t option
> and get the error message:
>
> 27-Aug 13:14 bacula-fd: ERROR TERMINATION at
> /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/lib/ parse_conf.c:898
> Config error: Cannot open config file
> "C:\ProgramData\Bacula/bacula-fd.conf": No such file or directory
>
> I try to look in the ProgramDate catalogue to see if i can find the
> bacula-fd.conf file and have a look in it. But there is no ProgramData
> catalogue. The bacula-fd.conf file is in in C:/Program files/bacula
> catalogue. Looks like this:
>
> #
> # Default  Bacula File Daemon Configuration file
> #
> #  For Bacula release 5.0.3 (08/05/10) -- Windows MinGW64
> #
> # There is not much to change here except perhaps the
> # File daemon Name
> #
> #
> # "Global" File daemon configuration specifications
> #
> FileDaemon {                            # this is me
>   Name = clientservername-fd
>   FDport = 9102                # where we listen for the director
>   WorkingDirectory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
>   Pid Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
> # Plugin Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\plugins"
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
> }
> #
> # List Directors who are permitted to contact this File daemon
> #
> Director {
>   Name = backup.mydomainname.com-fd
>   Password = "mypassword"
> }
> #
> # Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
> #   status of the file daemon
> #
> Director {
>   Name = @monitor_name@
>   Password = "@monitor_password@"
>   Monitor = yes
> }
> # Send all messages except skipped files back to Director
> Messages {
>   Name = Standard
>   director = backup.mydomainname.com-fd = all, !skipped, !restored
> }
> The password is the same on the client and the servert, I checked
> that. Anyhow, it should be possible to start the deamon/service even
> if the client have no contact with the servere, right?
>
> Anybody have a fix on this?

Have you tried starting from:

<Control Panel> <Administrative Tools> <Component Services>

Locate the service and try starting it there. The error message would
be a lot more revealing. You could click the <Event Viewer> and try to
locate the problem in one of the logs.

I did notice a post on an MS Forum, I forgot which one, that the latest
version of Bacula does not work on Windows. You apparent have to use a
deprecated version.

In any case, this might be better suited to an MS Forum discussion.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net