printing outside browser cuts off top and bottom of page

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Wed Aug 25 03:33:40 UTC 2010

Quoth Warren Block on Tuesday, 24 August 2010:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Chip Camden wrote:
> >Quoth Warren Block on Tuesday, 24 August 2010:
> >>As Chip Camden noted, it could be a problem with the printable area not
> >>being correct.  CUPS should get that information from a PPD file--I
> >>think.  Do you have the correct PPD installed...er...wherever it should
> >>be installed?  Or maybe that's automatic, and you just need to set CUPS
> >>to the right printer.
> >
> >From the CUPS help, this appears to be what needs specification:
> >
> >http://localhost:631/help/api-ppd.html?QUERY=printable area#ppd_size_s
> >
> >How you get to that, I'm not sure.
> >
> >`lpr -o fit-to-page` didn't help, so I'm reasonably certain that CUPS
> >thinks the page size is the full sheet.
>
> It appears that PPDs are stored in the reasonably-named
> /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd.  There's a PPD for the LJ4050 in
> print/foomatic-db...
>
> And it has
>   *ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "12.24 12.06 599.76 780.06"
>
> 12-point margins on that printer sound about right.

Mine had 18 and 36 for the first two (for an OfficeJet 7310).  I tried
doubling them but that didn't seem to make a difference.  Did I need to
restart something to get that to take effect?

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com