Lingua franca file system Linux-NetBSD-FreeBSD?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 22:41:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:53:09 +0000
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What is the best choice for a file system that can be read, and
> safely written to, by Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD?

I've not tried it recently, but I think UFS (both UFS1 and UFS2 seem to
be supported) should work well; since 2.6.29 Linux has supported
writing to UFS too; you may need to recompile the kernel to add support
for writing depending on how old the kernel is, but
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt;h=7a602adeca2b7399f04b50232c838a9aec305712;hb=HEAD
says simply that ufs2 has read-write support.

--
Bruce Cran