running FreeBSD on Windows host

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 24 08:42:29 UTC 2010

El día Monday, August 23, 2010 a las 02:31:08PM +0300, Manolis Kiagias escribió:

> > Once having setup VMware (workstation), I plan to boot from FreeBSD live
> > CD, create the slices big enough and fill in the dumps of my current
> > system. Any objectives with this? Thx
> >
> > 	matthias
> >

> This should work nicely. In fact, in one of my recent projects I did the
> exact opposite with great success:
>
> I installed and configured a full system on Vmware Workstation, dumped
> the partitions and restored on real hardware.
> Saved me countless hours and had the school lab running in less than a day.

I have produced three dumps: from the /, /var and /usr file system. The
man page of restore(8) reads about creating pristine file system, made
by newfs(8). Later, in the VM environment, I'd like to have only one big
file system... Is it possible to restore the tree dumps into one big
file system or do I have to rebuild the same slicing as I now have?

In the original posting I was asking for some kind of benchmark tool in
the ports, to compare current and VM disk i/o... any hits? Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211