Any awk gurus on the list?

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 23 21:10:20 UTC 2010

--On Friday, August 20, 2010 17:24:55 -0700 "Randal L. Schwartz"
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Paul> Yes, I know I could do this easily in Perl.  I'm doing this to try
> Paul> and improve my understanding of awk.
>
> To what end?
>
> Every modern system that can run awk can also run Perl.  Why not
> concentrate on Perl?

Three reasons.  Perl is too easy (for this particular problem.)  :-)
Perl isn't part of the base system for FreeBSD.

# ls -lsa /usr/bin/perl
0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  25 Jul 29 22:53 /usr/bin/perl ->
/usr/local/bin/perl5.12.1

# ls -lsa /usr/bin/awk
134 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  135472 Jul  4  2008 /usr/bin/awk

It never hurts to learn new things, especially things that might get you out of
a jam when a system isn't working as expected and you have access to a limited
number of tools to solve the problem.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst