Is this bunk.

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Aug 23 13:42:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:12:59AM -0400, Bob Hall wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 01:25:34AM +0100, Garry wrote:
> > Mac OS X is basically BSD that's been appleised (serious vendor
> > lock-in), they do give a little back to BSDs, but have made sure
> > that BSDs can't get much off of them, but they can get a lot out of
> > BSD.
>
> If the kernel is the basis of an OS, then OS X is basically the Mach
> kernel.

Kirk McKusick of FFS fame has been quoted as saying to the effect, "The
difference between Linux and BSD is that all BSDs have the same userland
but different kernels. All Linuxes have the same kernel but differing
userlands."

> The userland part of early versions of OS X borrowed heavily from
> NetBSD, but much of this has been replaced with FreeBSD in later
> version. Or so I'm told.

What I've seen of it its been primarily FreeBSD from the start. There
are also a number of FreeBSD device drivers in MacOS X, not the least of
which is fxp. The irony of that is Apple has never shipped an Intel
based NIC. Or at least not for years after fxp was included. The fxp man
page existed in earlier MacOS X but not in 10.6.4.

NICs supported by fxp were favorites of Jordan Hubbard and other
FreeBSD'ers now working for Apple.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net