Is this bunk.

Garry tbcrew at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 00:52:34 UTC 2010

This is a conversation held on a UK group page, can you confirm or deny this
as twaddle.

Mac OS X is basically BSD that's been appleised (serious vendor lock-in),
they do give a little back to BSDs, but have made sure that BSDs can't get
much off of them, but they can get a lot out of BSD.

Also, Windows uses  (or used to use) a BSD stack for networking for
instance.

So, in supporting/using BDS i would enevatibaly end up writing code for it,
or filing bugs or whatever.
(I have assisted with a few Linux drivers and written kernel patches, as
well as working on things like DirectX 3D 9 for Wine and work on KDE etc...)

Having seen how BDS license software has been used, to create highly tied
in, almost crippled proprietary software, I do not feel that I can support
software developed under such licenses.

Web-Kit has actually worked quite well as an open system, even though Apple
done a hostile take over of the project from KHTML in KDE.
So, the GPL has worked to produce an open product in Web-kit but the BSD
license has lead to vendor lock-in on the part of Microsoft and most
significantly Apple.

This does not mean to say that I have a problem with the quality of the code
in BSD, I just feel that the license is counter productive.