Xorg Problems

Fred Boatwright fred at blakemfg.com
Sat Aug 21 22:12:17 UTC 2010

Warren Block wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Fred Boatwright wrote:
>
> > .xinitrc
> > xrdb
> > xsetroot -solid gray &
> > xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> > xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
> > #exec olvwm   #complained about a missing font
> > exec fvwm
>
> Before trying a different window manager, try good old twm.
>
> > xorg.conf
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >       Identifier     "X.org Configured"
> >       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> >       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection
>
> If you're running hal, those InputDevice sections aren't needed.
>
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> >       Driver      "kbd"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >       Identifier  "Mouse0"
> >       Driver      "mouse"
> >       Option      "Protocol" "auto"
> >       Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> >       Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> > EndSection
>
> These InputDevice definitions are also unnecessary with hal.
>
> > Section "Monitor"
> >       Identifier   "Monitor0"
> >       VendorName   "HP"
> >       ModelName    "2009"
> >       ModeLine     "1600x900" 108.0 1600 1624 1704 1800 900 901 904 1000
> >       Option       "DPMS"
> > EndSection
>
> Modelines are... well, avoid them unless they are required.
>
> > Section "Device"
> >        ### Available Driver options are:-
> >        ### [arg]: arg optional
> >        #Option     "ShadowFB"                 # [<bool>]
> >        #Option     "DefaultRefresh"           # [<bool>]
> >        #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"       # [<bool>]
> >       Identifier  "Card0"
> >       Driver      "vesa"
> >       VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> >       BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6200 A-LE]"
> >       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> > EndSection
>
> The nVidia driver should produce better results than vesa.
>
> > Section "Screen"
> >       Identifier "Screen0"
> >       Device     "Card0"
> >       Monitor    "Monitor0"
> >       DefaultDepth  24
> >       SubSection "Display"
> >               Viewport   0 0
> >               Depth     24
> >               Modes     "1600x900"
> >       EndSubSection
> > EndSection
>
> Finally, starting with a more common resolution like 1024x768 may help.
> Get it working first, then polish one thing at a time so you can tell
> what works.
>
> > Is there is somewhere I can park the log file that you would have access
> > to?  I don't know of any way to provide a link to it here.
>
> http://pastebin.com/ is popular.
>
> > The log file says: (--) using VT number 9.  This does not exist in
> [...]

Hello Warren,
I installed twm and changed .xinitrc to run it.

I commented out the sections of xorg.conf that you suggested and changed
the resolution.

I changed the driver from vesa to nVidia but the nVidia driver could not
be found and X exited.  After restoring vesa I ran the test on xorg.conf
-retro and it worked ok.  However, startx still produced only a black
screen.

I was not able to make heads or tails out of the pastebin.com site.
Until FBSD X is working on the pc I have to use Netscape 4.79 on a Sun
running Solaris 2.6 (which I would prefer to keep using if only a modern
browser was available).  Netscape doesn't work on most web sites
anymore.  Is there someplace I could ftp or email the log file?

Best regards,
Fred