Xorg Problems

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 19 13:02:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:

>> I'm having trouble with xorg on a new 8.1 installation.  I haven't installed a wm yet, but when I try to call up the generic x windows by typing "startx" they do indeed appear, but all three of the x windows are locked up.  By that I mean that there is no mouse, and no possibility of entering data in the windows via the keyboard.  Totally frozen.  And you can't get out of x in the usual manner i.e. ctrl-alt-backspace.  The only thing that works is ctrl-alt-del which, of course, reboots the computer.  Any ideas are appreciated.
>
>> Rem
>
> I had that problem too, looked extensively for possible answers, and one that worked was
>
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
>
> Now I can't remember if it was "AllowEmptyInput (no spaces) or "Allow Empty Input" but would think the former; am in Linux as I type this and didn't need that line in that xorg.conf .

Don't need it in FreeBSD, either.  In fact, using it in FreeBSD often
causes hesitant input characters that only show up when you move the
mouse.  Or a draggy mouse.  Or both.

If you want to disable hal input device detection in X, use
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

AllowEmptyInput will borrow your stuff and never return it.
AllowEmptyInput will cause trouble and say it was your idea.
AllowEmptyInput cheats at cards.