Hibernation

Depo Catcher depocatcher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 23:07:12 UTC 2010

On 8/18/2010 5:26 AM, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:55:12 -0500
> Depo Catcher<depocatcher at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I can't find any good docs or guides to this.  I checked the
>> handbook, but had a bunch of references to 5.x.
>> Can anyone point me to the right direction?
>>
>> I'd like to go with FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 for my next system.
>> Hibernation and Wake on Lan would both be useful.
>>
> The only support for hibernation is via the BIOS with a special
> partition. Unfortunately as far as I know it rarely, if ever, works.
> Windows (I don't know about Linux) bypasses the BIOS/ACPI and just
> dumps the contents of memory to disk before powering off.

My current system (6.4, really old hardware) shows this:

    sysctl -a | grep -i hw.acpi
    hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S4 S5
    hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
    hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
    hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
    hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
    hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
    hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
    hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
    hw.acpi.verbose: 0
    hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
    hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1

ampd is the command I'm looking for ?

Also what is the differences between Sleep, Stand By, Hibernation and
Suspend?