BSD equivalent of Linux's free(1)?

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:14:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason you want to know? Free memory isn't a
> very meaningful concept in FreeBSD.

I have a webserver that had it's Apache killed this morning. The box
itself had been stable for several years, as well as the Apache
instance. The error that I saw in /var/log/messages was something along
the following:

    "pid 1234 (httpd), uid 100, was killed: out of swap space"

So I went to check what was eating up the swap,

The problem itself was tracked down fairly easily, someone had added a
shelt script to cron (/home/user/foo.sh) and had mistakenly put the full
path to the script into the script itself -- essentially creating a
forkbomb.

But while I was in the middle of debugging this and noticed that line
from the logfile, I spent more time than necessary trying to figure out
exactly how much swap/memory was being used, and who was using it.