Upgrading ports while processes are running.

Beat Siegenthaler beat.siegenthaler at beatsnet.com
Tue Aug 17 08:17:27 UTC 2010

 On 17.08.10 04:13, Mark Shroyer wrote:
> That isn't to say you won't see any negative consequences from
> overwriting a running port with a newer version.  Hypothetically, you
> might install a new Python including a new standard library, and if your
> running (old) Python process tries to load one of its deleted modules
> from disk something could break.  Or not; I'm no expert on the ports
> system, they might have some way of working around this.  But as for a
> pragmatic answer to your question, I err on the side of caution with
> this stuff

Wow, thanks for this perfect description how this is working.

For my part, I am updating  since many years regularly the ports. Never
stop any daemon before.
But after the upgrade I restart the daemon if it is something like
apache, clamav, some milters, mysql.
It never causes trouble. The only thing that if I use restart, rc says
the daemon is not running (but running fine) .
But after reading Your article it is now clear why.

Beat