FreeBSD, GPGPU and OpenCL/CUDA

Hartmann, O. ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 16 21:01:00 UTC 2010

  On 08/16/10 21:13, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
>> how is this different from getting e.g. native Flash or Matlab on FBSD?
>> We've been trying to "raise awareness" for years..
> So did we for the nvidia driver on amd64.
>
> I'm not saying that we will be successful, I'm just saying if they're not even
> aware of this need that it will never happen.
>
> - Pieter

I think they are aware, but the number of users is very, very low. Since
modern 3D accerlerated and GPGPU capable drivers are developed
dominantly under Linux, BSDs lack in modern
architectures like KMS necessary running those modern drivers, so in
case of the 64Bit video drivers it could be more a lack in the
underlying technical infrastructure than the low number of users. But I
do not know.

Oliver