Open Mail Relay

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Mon Aug 16 18:22:38 UTC 2010

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Sun Aug 15 15:15:43 2010
> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:15:57 +0200
> From: Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Open Mail Relay
>
> On 15/08/10 13.57, peter at vfemail.net wrote:
>
> > Assume, as Mr. Bonomi suggests, that some bad guy has installed some type of additional mailer on the machine or another machine that's allowed to relay mail.  How would I go about locating that other mailer?
>
> If the messages are indeed relayed through your server then you can see
> it in the logs and in the Received header field which host is sending
> the mail to your server.

*IF* it is just a case of the 'intended to be used' mail server is mis-
configured, and allowing relaying, that is correct.

*IF*, OTOH, the machine has been broken-into/compromised/"owned", then
the 'bad guys'  are fully capable of installing their _own_ mail-sending
software --software that does *NOT* record anything in the normal log files.
This kind of software is 'maliciously built' to leave *no* tracks with
regard to incoming _or_ outgoing connections from/to other hosts.