X11 question

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Thu Aug 12 23:17:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Fred Boatwright wrote:

[snip]

> I installed x11-servers/xorg-server but maybe should have installed Xorg
> instead.  However, from looking at the pkg-descr for xorg it looks like
> it will install a huge amount of software that will not get used.  I am
> reluctant to do this.  I have installed 8.0-RELEASE from the CD and I
> want to run olvwm for a desktop.  I have been using Solaris 2.6 with the
> OpenWindows desktop for 12 years and consider it to be as close to
> perfection as one can get.  I am being forced, kicking and screaming, to
> move to some other type of Unix on a PC and would like to continue using
> OpenWindows.  It is probably going to be an uphill battle to get olvwm
> to work.  Am I going to have to install xorg to get everything needed?

It really is the simplest way to get X working, and IMHO the least painful
way to install xorg is to use the package. Without installing the xorg
meta-port, you'd end up installing a lot of it by hand anyway.

Come to think of it - since olvwm is a port (/usr/ports/x11-wm/olvwm), I
*guess* it would pull in all of xorg as a dependency anyway.

I, too, took a long time to come around to the idea that it doesn't do any
harm to have unused software lying around. Disk is cheap; life is short.

Hope this helps.