X11 question

Fred Boatwright fred at blakemfg.com
Thu Aug 12 21:55:03 UTC 2010

pkg_info | grep xinit  doesn't return anything
rehash
which startx
startx: Command not found

whereis X
X: /usr/local/bin/X

pkg_which /usr/local/bin/X
pkg_which:  Command not found

Oliver:  I used your porgle tool to find pkg_which and will install it
later. Porgle appears to be a very useful tool.

I installed x11-servers/xorg-server but maybe should have installed Xorg
instead.  However, from looking at the pkg-descr for xorg it looks like
it will install a huge amount of software that will not get used.  I am
reluctant to do this.  I have installed 8.0-RELEASE from the CD and I
want to run olvwm for a desktop.  I have been using Solaris 2.6 with the
OpenWindows desktop for 12 years and consider it to be as close to
perfection as one can get.  I am being forced, kicking and screaming, to
move to some other type of Unix on a PC and would like to continue using
OpenWindows.  It is probably going to be an uphill battle to get olvwm
to work.  Am I going to have to install xorg to get everything needed?

Best regards,
Fred