X11 question

Tim Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Thu Aug 12 18:37:31 UTC 2010

/usr/ports/x11/xinit

On my system (with X, obviously, already installed):

beta# whereis startx

startx: /usr/local/bin/startx /usr/local/man/man1/startx.1.gz

beta# pkg_which /usr/local/bin/startx

xinit-1.2.0

beta# whereis xinit

xinit: /usr/local/bin/xinit /usr/local/man/man1/xinit.1.gz
/usr/ports/x11/xinit

I' m not certain about the p5/Perl TK questions, but in the file:
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/p5-Tk/pkg-descr
there is this description:

This a re-port of a perl interface to Tk8.4 (John Ousterhout's production
release).

Perl API is essentially the same as Tk800.025 but has not
been verified as compliant.

It also includes all the C code parts of Tix8.1.4 from SourceForge.
The perl code corresponding to Tix's Tcl code is not fully implemented.

This version (Tk804.025) is only likely to work with perl5.8+.

Tim Kellers