Spontaneous Reboots with Virtualbox Kernel Modules

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Wed Aug 11 15:40:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am running 3.2.6 and it was crashing.
>
> On the <= 3.2.4 stuff, only time is crashed was with multiple cpu vm's.
> Doesn't happen any longer and my systems are up for months running vm's.
> I'd try to find the root cause of your issue, somethings to check
>
> are sources vs installed kernel/world in sync?

This is the case with the second crash, but I have since upgraded to 8.1.

> Is this from a clean install?  if not, you may have dependency issues.

A clean install of the OS?  I am not 100% sure of what you mean here.

> Finding these can be difficult, save yourself the headache and following the
> instructions on the portmaster man page for a complete system rebuild, this
> will take awhile.

I have rebuilt and fixed dependency issues.  It took me a while to
clean up the issues so that vbox would even build.  I had some stale
includes that were not removed by their scripts.  After removing by
hand, I was able to rebuild all of these old dependencies and fixed
other issues on my server.  It is amazing how one little file can
cause so much grief.

Thanks,
Chris Maness