ZFS woes

Dick Hoogendijk dick at nagual.nl
Tue Aug 10 20:09:52 UTC 2010

  FreeBSD-8.1/amd64 -> I spend all evening trying to create a ZFS mirror
on my two 1Tb sata2 drives formerly used under opensolaris (zfs22) I
wiped out the firt mb; i used sysinstall to create a fbsd slice; wiped
it out again; booted knoppix to create an EFI / GPT; booted into
opensolaris and created a zpool (v14), but nothing, nothing did the trick.
sometimes the GEOM GPT table (first / second) was bad; sometimes I saw
other warnings; sometimes I *seemed* to be able to create a ZFS mirror
and it *seemed* healthy. I even could write to it, but the moment I
wanted to do a "zpool scrub tank" the system freezes or gave me warnings
like ZFS: vdev failure, zpool=tank type=vdev.bad.label

Whatever I did, I could not get rid of the errors and create a healthy
zpool. It really drives me crazy, so if anyone can tell me HOW I can
turn two drives into a state that I can use them for ZFS under FreeBSD,
please tell me *in detail*.

I love to have ZFS back (I'm really used to it on opensolaris), but it
has to be safe. It cannot be that one zpool scrub halts my system. I
must have done something wrong then. But what?