AHCI driver

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Aug 10 14:35:44 UTC 2010

On 08/10/10 14:13, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:37:42PM +0200, Victor Ophof wrote:
>>
>> Its better to enable,
>>
>> but AD4 can get renamed to ada0
>
> I think you should change "can" to "will". :-)
>
>> but it's easy to fix
>> you just need to edit the /etc/fstab to point to the newly named drives ..
>
> Do this _before_ rebooting! When I rebooted into single user mode to update my
> laptop running 8.0 to 8.1, I couldn't edit my /etc/fstab, because my / wat
> mounted read-only, and I could not get it to remount as read/write! I had to
> boot with the old kernel (/boot/kernel.old/kernel) to be able to mount root as
> read/write and fix etc/fstab!

If you're in single user mode "mount -uw /" will make / (and thus
/etc/fstab) writable, although your choice of editors is restricted to
/bin/ed and /rescue/{ex,vi}.

Alternatively, before switching to the ahci driver, label all your
partitions and mount them using their labels rather than device names.
That way the change in device names won't matter. Just be careful of the
gotcha with labelling the root partition.