ANNOUNCE: Custom 64bit FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with XFCE packages released

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 05:15:04 UTC 2010

On 8/2/10, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have just completed the first 8.1-RELEASE based build of the 'Custom
> releases' project hosted here:
>
> http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com
>
> At the moment only the 64bit version is available, while a 32bit
> version is in the works and is expected later on this week.
>
> You may download the ISO file immediately using the downloads page:
>
> http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com/downloads-page
>
> This release is based on the latest XFCE desktop and includes a wide
> variety of desktop-related packages, like OpenOffice, abiword, gnumeric,
> firefox35, gimp, inkscape, evince and so on. The base system is
> 8.1-RELEASE. A few other small window managers are included like
> windowmaker, fluxbox and icewm.
>
> Make sure to read the README file before installation.
>
> Also note that installing linux related packages during initial setup
> needs a few
> more  steps. This is due to differences in sysinstall between 7.X and
> 8.X releases. A detailed explanation is provided in the README file.
>
> As always, please report any problems, success stories, comments and
> criticisms to manolis at FreeBSD.org

Thank you Manolis for your work.  I installed it and have one
difficulty, that otherwise I would not bother you or other users here
on the list.

I loaded gdm to autologin xfce but I can autologin to gnome.  How can
I do it to only load xfce.

I use
gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

I setup a file
How do I add new GDM sessions?

I s/xfce/kde/g in

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q16

The process for adding new GDM sessions has changed substantially
between GNOME 2.2 and 2.30. In order to add new sessions now, you must
create a .desktop file containing the session configuration
information. Session files live in /usr/local/etc/dm/Sessions. For
example, to add a XFCE session, create a file in
/usr/local/etc/dm/Sessions called xfce.desktop. That file should
contain the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=KDE
Comment=This session logs you into XFCE
Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
TryExec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
Icon=
Type=Application

This file must have execute permissions. For example:

# chmod 0555 kde.desktop

After creating this file, restart GDM, and there will be a XFCE link
under the Sessions menu.

The link is there, but it fails to start, just cycle's back.  If I edit
/usr/local/etc/gdm/gdm.custom

and setup
[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=myusername

it does autologin but to a gnome session.

I was under the impression that since this was an XFCE special/custom
disk, I was going to not see gnome, but I know that there are parts
needed for xfce.

Is there any way I can get this to work, but for xfce only?

Sorry for asking,

Regards,

Antonio