virtualbox

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 04:47:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM, kalin m <kalin at el.net> wrote:

> awesome...  i will.  i'm basically intending to use it for production
> servers. i'll give it try...
>
> was reading something about not supporting usb...  how about serial ports?

Unfortunately, the OSE edition of VirtualBox doesn't support USB
pass-through, and that is the only edition available on FreeBSD ATM.

As for serial ports, I've only used the "virtual" type connected to a
guest VM; I set things up according to the VirtualBox manual...

> i was reading the documentation. not much there...  how about management,
> data backup and recovery? real time vm swaps?

I use the machine snapshot feature frequently. Although for machine
backup, I'm currently using software that installs on the guest
itself. I'm interested in hearing about other users' methods as
well...

VirtualBox supports a form of live migration which they call
"Teleportation", but again, I haven't any experience using it :(

-Brandon