lightweight Chat client/server?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 08:39:21 UTC 2010

On 03/08/2010 21:18, Bill Moran wrote:
> We've been using Jabber for several years internally.  Works well and
> has clients for just about every OS I know of.
>
> Don't know if it could be considered lightweight, though, since it
> requires an SQL server on the backend.  If you already have another
> SQL server in production, you could just install the DB there, as its
> DB usage is pretty light.

Even with the overhead of a small mysql or postgresql DB installation,
jabberd still wins out over OpenFire in terms of system resource
consumption.  It seems considerably faster to me, although you don't get
a point'n'click interface to configure it.  Oh, no, wait: that's another
plus.

	Cheers,

	Matthew
                                                  Flat 3