Salvage files from harddrive

David Cross crossd at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Aug 4 03:08:03 UTC 2010

FreeBSD 6.2 didn't use volume labels the same way that 7 and above do;
and even then only if you specifically label the filesystems, and even
then you can get to the filesystems with the 'bus' methods (which is
what you need to do in 6.2 anyway)

On your system that you have access to /var in single user mode, note
what 'df /var' returns for the device, it will be in the form of:

/dev/adXsYL
   or
/dev/daXsYL

where X and Y are numbers, and 'L' is a letter.  Take note of  'Y' and
'L', but you can ignore 'X'.

on the working system note what disks are currently in the system, if
you run 'df -l' you'll get a list of everything in the form of above,
there make note of 'X' (and ignore 'Y' and 'L').

Now shutdown, move the drive over, and reboot, pay attention to the
kernel messages, you should see a new 'adX' line come up that wasn't
there on the working system before, this is where your new drive is.

(typical layouts are that ad0 is the primary-master, ad1 is the
primary-slave, ad2 is the secondary-master, ad3 is the
secondary-slave... with sata motherboards ad4 can be the first sata
port, ad6 is the next, etc.. these are just generalities to help guide
you, pay attention to what the kernel tells you)

now that you have that do

mount /dev/adXsYL /mnt    (take 'X' from the "new" disk on the working
system, and YL that you took note of above.).. your old /var will now be
on /mnt

--
David E. Cross