Samba PDC roaming profiles problem

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:24:28 UTC 2010

Alex de Kruijff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've setup a LDAP backend Samba PDC. I can gain access to shares and
>
> login with a user that is in LDAP, but have a prblem setting up the
> roaming profile stuff. I've been trying to solve this problem for some
> time now, and have tried everything I could think of, but without much
> luck. I keep getting the following error messages:
>
> "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
> attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
> will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Plausible causes of
> this error include network problem or insufficient security rights. If
> this problem persists, contact your network administrators. DETAILS -
> The network path was not found."
>
> Followed by:
>
> "Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging on with a tempory
> profiles. Changes to this profile will be lost when you logoff."

Sorry - but I can't speak to anything about the LDAP setup as I probably
don't know enough about it. One thing that strikes me though, is Windows
uses DNS SRV records to locate services and populate variables. The naming
scheme is fairly convoluted and Windows centric.

On a Windows box use network monitor to capture what the box is trying to
do. If you see it doing a lot of look ups for SRV records and failing it
might be something to investigate. The network monitor version that ships
with the desktop will only grab traffic for that particular machine, but is
enough for the purpose. The version that comes with the server is able to
promiscuously examine all traffic.

-Mike