Printing from linux-firefox

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Mon Aug 2 05:21:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 15:00 +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> Having trouble getting flshh to work with native firefox,
> I decided to try one or other of the linux versions.
>
> With
> linux-firefox-devel-3.5.9
> I was able to get flash wworking OK.
> But the linux version does not find any any printer access.
> I am using (traditional) lpd for spooling to a Postscript
> network printer.
>
> Is there something I need to do so that the linux emulation is
> aware of the native level lpd spooler?
>
> The native version of firefox finds my printer OK.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I don't use linux-firefox but have previously encountered problems
printing via lpd from Acrobat Reader which use the linux compatibility
sub-system.

You might find the thread containing this message useful for a little
background info:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2007-April/003469.html

It looks as though the linux_base package now includes the "lp" script
suggested in that message:

%cat /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/lp
#!/bin/sh -
exec /usr/bin/lpr "$@"
%pkg_which /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/lp
linux_base-fc-4_15

For some time now I have been happily printing via lpd from Acrobat
Reader to a network-connected postscript printer by selecting the
"Custom" printer option in Acrobat Reader's "print" dialogue using its
default "/usr/bin/lp" command.

I can't run the native firefox that I normally use at the moment so
cannot check what options firefox offers in its print dialogue but I
hope this info gives you some kind of lead to help you resolve the
problem.

Wayne