setting ccache path

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Apr 29 21:58:48 UTC 2010

Hi

I have just installed devel/ccache. I set up /etc/make.conf ,
/etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile according to
/usr/local/share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt to include
/usr/local/libexec/ccache in roots path but ccache doesn't get used. I
think it is because roots path is set absolutely in .cshrc so the
setting is /etc/csh.cshrc gets overridden.

In a terminal if I set roots path to include /usr/local/libexec/ccache
ccache works. I tested by timing make(1) in a port but I can see it is
working anyway because /root/.ccache gets created and populated.

Am I failing to follow ccache-howto-freebsd.txt or is it telling me
something wrong and I should be adding /usr/local/libexec/ccache to
roots path in .cshrc and .profile.?

Actually I think a better solution would be to set CCACHE_PATH to
/usr/local/libexec/ccache to avoid the shell looking there first for
_every_ command invocation, but I'm not sure where is the best place to
set it. .cshrc and/or .profile?

thanks

Chris