USB keyboard: mode switch / numlock freezes

Anselm Strauss amsibamsi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:26:54 UTC 2010

On 04/27/10 07:06, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:33:28 +0200, Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could it be a numlock issue? Any idea how to address this?
>
> A good tool for diagnostics always is the xev program. See
> if something like
>
> KeyPress event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
>     root 0x73, subw 0x0, time 1034406899, (-570,493), root:(12,632),
>     state 0x10, keycode 77 (keysym 0xff7f, Num_Lock), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
>     root 0x73, subw 0x0, time 1034406949, (-570,493), root:(12,632),
>     state 0x10, keycode 77 (keysym 0xff7f, Num_Lock), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> comes out when pressing the Num key.
>
> You can always remap the Num Lock functionality onto another
> key that doesn't fail after the 4th use - see xmodmap.

I tried xev, but there is no event when I press the mode switch. I
mapped numlock to scrolllcok for testing. I then see the numlock event
but the mode on the keyboard block does not change. So it doesn't seem
to be implemented over the numlock functionality.

Is there another way to debug the USB device directly?

Anselm