installing gnome

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Apr 26 10:15:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:22:15 -0700 (PDT), Michael Glaz <mikeglaz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 8.0.   Then I followed the directions
> on installing Gnome2.  I typed pkg_add -r gnome2.  Then I
> added the line
>
> gnome_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.  But to no avail.
> Gnome doesn't boot.

Well, what Gnome does (or doesn't) isn't "booting" exactly... :-)

See the Gnome FAQ:

	http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q1

In order to run a Gnome environment, add "exec gnome-session"
to the speficic user's ~/.xinitrc.

If you intend to also use Gnome's display manager, gdm, insert
something like

	ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/gdm"  xterm  on  secure

to /etc/ttys.

> Only the terminal boots up.

In order to start X (and gdm, and Gnome) after system startup,
refer to the /etc/ttys setting. In order to perform auto-login
for a specific user, other means have to be taken, too, depending
on using gdm or not.

> I also get this error during boot:
> gdm-binary[1285]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory:
> maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors

What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log mention in "(EE)" (errors)?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany