Installing from FTP: unable to transfer the GENERIC distribution

Антон Клесс antoniok.spb at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 19:52:02 UTC 2010

Good day. I am trying to install 8.3-RELEASE on remote servers using
"bootonly" ISO image connected through IPMI virtual media and then choosing
FTP as installation media to get distributions.

There are 2 similiar servers. On first one all gone OK and I get working
system, but on second - nothing wants to go OK. After choosing FTP-server
from list in sysinstall (I have already tryed about 10 of them) GENERIC
distribution starts to download, and progress-bar as usual moving to 100%,
but then I get message

Installing from FTP: unable to transfer the GENERIC distribution from
ftp://server.addr/

On second console (CTRL + F2) there are messages of checksums fails.

Is I re-try downloading, system seems to install normally, but while
sysinstall continue dialogs, bugs start to appear: it is no way to set root
password, for example.

If reboot, I see installed FreeBSD, that boots, but unable to login because
PAM missing. Seems that not all files installed properly.

I tried to re-install system all the day, and of course look through Google,
but can't find out any usuable information.

What can be the reason of such strange situation?