Which CPUTYPE in make.conf?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Apr 24 17:45:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Michael Powell <nightrecon at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think this matters more to third party ports software builds than it does
> the system. I thought that large pieces of the kernel were designed to not
> make much, if any, use the various SIMD extensions. Maybe this has changed
> and I'm behind the times.

I wouldn't bother setting CPUTYPE at all. It's more trouble than it's worth.

And you're right: for most ports and for the whole system, it doesn't really
matter. If you have a very specific port that needs particular tuning, it has
either already been tuned individually by the port maintainer, or you could
apply more optimizations yourself (which would likely require a specially
compiled tool chain, when -O<something> with the base gcc/binutils isn't
enough).

Unless you have a very specific need, better leave CPUTYPE alone.

> Your use of athlon64 seems reasonable to me. It is what I've been using. If
> it can be done better I'm always on the look out for better.
>
> -Mike

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/