Problems with printing

Frank Wißmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Fri Apr 23 19:20:17 UTC 2010

Hi, hello and a good day!

Warren Block schrieb:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Frank Wi?mann wrote:
>
>> "chkprintcap -d -f /etc/printcap" exits with no error message.
>
> That -d may have now changed things, but okay.
>
>> "lpc status lp" gives that:
>>
>> lp:
>>        queuing is enabled
>>        printing is enabled
>>        no entries in spool area
>>        printer idle
>
> That's good.  Try sending a short test file to the printer, like
> ls -lh | lpr
>
> ("lp" is the default, so "-Plp" is not needed.)

The beast does it. At least, it does print from the command line like
"cat /etc/rc.conf|lpr".

> Watch the printer display to see if it receives a job.  If the printer
> doesn't print, check the status with lpc again.  Oh, and you might want
> to check that the printer is set to Auto personality so it'll accept all
> types of print jobs.
>
>>> Don't know, but I set group and owner to daemon:daemon.  Incidentally,
>>
>> Which directories do you include in "daemon:daemon"?
>
> The spool dir, but 'chown -R daemon:daemon /var/spool/lpd' should be all
> right, too.

I changed that so it is now like yours.

>>> using the first name of the printer (lp) for the spooldir would make
>>> more sense to me.
>>
>> I did change that but it seems not to have any effect. I also took my
>> user in the groups "daemon" and "operator" but that didn't help, too.
>
> You should not be a member of the daemon group; operator is fine.  And
> also beware of changing multiple settings at the same time.

I rechanged that, too. Now I am out of "daemon".

> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

The printer does not accept a job from a GUI application like "Firefox"
or "Thunderbird". So how can I go on from now?

Greetings Frank

--
GU d- s:+ a+ C+>$ UBS>$ P L- !E--- W N+@ !o K--? !w--- O !M- !V- PS+ PE
Y? !PGP- t+ 5 X !R tv- b++ DI !D G e h+ r- y?

When pack meets pack in the jungle
and no one will move from the trail
wait till the leaders have spoken
it may be fair words shall prevail