Setup Fail2Ban on FreeBSD

Bauer, Aaron J. AARON.J.BAUER at saic.com
Fri Apr 23 18:01:54 UTC 2010

I am currently using FreeNAS 0.7 for a file server.  I have multiple SSH bruteforce attacks each week, and wish to use fail2ban to prevent this.

I don't have much experience with BSD, and am having trouble getting everything to work.  I ran pkg_add -r python25 and pkg_add -r py25-fail2ban.  I now have all the files for Fail2Ban, and did the cp jail.conf jail.local as the other distro's for linux use.

However, how do I start using fail2ban?  I have configured it for CentOS and Ubuntu, and it starts in init.d.  I don't know how to add it to /etc/rc.d to get it to work correctly..

Any help is greatly appreciated.  If you need more info, please let me know.

Aaron
Software Research Intern
Aaron.J.Bauer at SAIC.com