Installation on HP Proliant via iLO -> "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist"

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 00:36:40 UTC 2010

On 4/22/10, Ewald Jenisch <a at jenisch.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a hard time trying to install FreeBSD 8.0 on an HP Proliant
> server. To be specific I try to instal the amd64 variant of FreeBSD
> 8.0 on a ProLiant DL385 G1.
>
> Since the server is remote installation is to be done via the virtual
> CD/DVD of the iLO management.
>
> The install process runs smooth up to the point where the install
> process finishes formatting then I get the following error:
>
> "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist: Input/output error (5)"
>
> and installation can't proceed.
>
> Interestingly that the installation runs from CD up to this point
> without any problem whatsoever. This can't be a problem with the
> "CD/DVD" since I've mounted the ISO-image via a virtual drive.
>
> I've already tried downloading the ISO again - same result.
>
> Likewise I tried with the CD-image instead of the DVD-image - same result
> :-(
>
> So here are my questions:
>
> o) has anybody seen symptoms like this on a HP proliant server when
> installation is done via the "virtual CD/DVD"-drive?
>
> o) Any cure against this?
>
> Thanks much in advance for any clue,
> -ewald

I'm a new hire to HP (not supporting ProLiants), but BSD is not a
supported OS.  That's completely beside the point because I want to
play with proliants myself and see what I can get working.

Most remote management devices like Dell's DRAC and HP's iLO should
present the drive to the OS as a USB rom.  The new IPMI management
cards are still unknown.

The acd0 is an ATAPI/IDE device.  Here's what I'd try.  Two options...

1) Boot the livefs ISO and do a ftp/http install
2) Download Martin Matuška's mfsbsd and boot it.  Connect by SSH and
perform either a cd-rom install with the install iso mounted or via
ftp/http install.

I would anxiously try anything if anybody were to give me access to a
proliant.  dmesg and model numbers with bios, bmc versions, etc would
be greatly appreciated.